Storyfest Story Telling Competition Rules 2019
By entering The Storyfest Short Story Competition 2019 (The Competition), the entrant agrees and is bound by The Competition Terms and Conditions.
The Competition is organised by Storyfest Incorporated.
Competition Terms and Conditions
The Competition is open to Primary and Secondary Students aged 5 to 18 years, and adults, excluding directors, officers, employees and sponsors of Storyfest and their respective immediate families. All entrants must reside in the Shoalhaven shire.
Opening and Closing Dates
The Competition opens on Day One Term One (Tues 29 January 2019) and all entries must be submitted by 5pm (AEDST) on the last day of Term One (Friday April 12, 2019.)
1. Each entry must address the theme of “Footprints In The Sand”.
2. Creative expression of the theme can be articulated with as much license as the entrant chooses (subject to the limitation that entries must be considered a short story and meet technical specifications as outlined at 3. below). Absolute discretion lies with the Judging Panel.
3. Technical specifications:
Written short story with a maximum of:
300 words for Primary School students
700 words for Secondary school students
1000 words for adults
Entries must be presented in Times New Roman 12pt font in either .gdoc, .doc, .docx or .pdf file formats. No other format can be accepted.
4. There is a maximum of 2 entries per entrant.
5. Each file name must include the title of the entry and the first name initials and surname of the entrant. Please use the following format for the file name – TitleASurname eg. BraveheartBSmith
All entries must be submitted online via the Storyfest website www.storyfest.org.au using the form provided at the opening date. Emailed entries are not permitted.
There will be 9 prizes awarded in total for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in two age categories: Primary Students and Secondary Students plus the Adult category.
Prizes to be confirmed.
There will also be an Honour Roll of highly commended entries for each category and selected entrants will receive book packs.
The Competition will be judged by a panel as appointed by Storyfest (“the Judging Panel”). The decision of the Judging Panel is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any decision.
The winner and any runners up of The Competition will be publicly announced at a date decided by Storyfest.
You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by you, as follows:
i. You are the sole owner and author of each Entry.
ii. You have the right to make your Entry available to the Competition.
iii. Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content.
iv. Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law.
v. Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and your Entry does not include:
- trademarks owned by third parties
- copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialogue or musical compositions)
- names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
- any commercial content that promotes any product or service
- screen credits
vi. You represent and warrant that any entries submitted as part of this Competition are free of all royalties and third-party rights (including but not limited to intellectual property rights).
vii. Storyfest recognises that you, the author of the Entry, retains ownership of the copyright (including moral rights) of each Entry.
viii. You confirm that any person depicted in the entry has, where necessary, granted permission to be portrayed as shown.
You agree to fully indemnify Storyfest in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of any breach by you of the any of the representations and warranties as set out in the Warranty section.
1. All entrants understand that any Entry submitted to the Competition may be used by Storyfest, and its affiliates and professional advisors (including advertising and promotional agencies), for marketing and promotional purposes and general promotion of Storyfest and any of its activities.
2. Unless you opt out in your application, you hereby grant Storyfest an irrevocable licence for each Entry throughout the world in perpetuity in all media for any use connected with Storyfest, including, but not limited to:
i. judging the Competition
ii. displaying the winning entries and runners up at any public exhibitions promoting Storyfest and organised by Storyfest
iii. inclusion within the Storyfest website
iv. inclusion within any materials promoting the Competition and / or any other exhibition or activity organised by Storyfest
v. inclusion on any promotional items created and sold by Storyfest for fundraising purposes
vi. sub-licensing the entries to the media for reproduction in connection with Storyfest and any if its activities
vii. allowing viewers of the Storyfest website to view entries on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only.
3. In no event will Storyfest, its affiliates and related companies, or its officers, directors, employees, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any contestant’s access to and use of the Storyfest website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the Storyfest website is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
4. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
5. Storyfest reserves the right to require that any prize-winner provides proof of identity, proof of age, proof of residency, and proof of the date of the entry as a condition of receipt of a prize. Storyfest reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entrant for submitting an entry that is not (in the unfettered opinion of the judges or Storyfest) in accordance with these conditions of entry.
6. By entering the Competition you agree to receive email information about Storyfest and its work. You have the right to unsubscribe from Storyfest emails at any time via a link provided at the bottom of all email communications.
Storyfest reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with requirements, terms & conditions contained herein, even after the Entry is submitted.
Your privacy is important to us. Storyfest will at no time pass on your street address, PO Box number or phone numbers to any 3rd party, except where required by law or in the event that the member is a competition winner and details are required for direct contact.